Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Now is the time to join us!
At Virgin Pulse we value and celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood.
Who are you?
The Engineering Manager is the strategic and operational leader of an engineering group within Virgin Pulse, focused on data products. Data products are product features that are user-facing and auto-generated from data in the system, most of which are not directly from the users themselves. The features are created using algorithms ranging from collaborative filtering to machine learning, all based on the massive amount of data.
The engineering manager is responsible for creating and managing a high-performing group that delivers product with quality, timeliness, and scalability. An EM will have a good cultural fit if he/she aligns with our organizational focus on customer-centric efficiency, long-term thinking, and passion for technology. Specifically, in VP, good engineering leaders will demonstrate the following traits:
In this role you will wear many hats, but your knowledge will be essential in the following:
- They are hands-on. We expect engineering leaders to improve operational efficiency and develop a vision that leads to engineering teams' long-term success. To accomplish that, the engineering leaders will need to acquire in-depth domain knowledge about every aspect of engineering operation. To us, the best way to acquire this knowledge is by rolling up their sleeves to code, configure, and test alongside their team. Past experiences in big data technology such as Cassandra, Spark, Redshift are helpful.
- They are role models and good ambassadors for our core values and can lead by example, setting expectations and context. Integrity is not just fundamental to our business; it is core to our mission.
- They are comfortable with owning business goals. They actively manage engineering activities of key components and initiatives owned by the team; they develop creative solutions to solve execution problems along the way to meet the project timeline.
- They deliver 100% platform uptime guarantees and act as the higher level escalation contact for the platform.
- They cultivate a high-performing engineering team culture to meet and exceed key engineering success metrics, including a people success metric. They attract talent and improve team morale. They are excited to develop the engineer's careers and goals. Engineers love working for them.
- They communicate well with business. They provide product owners with scope estimates and high-level milestones for evaluations of upcoming projects and work closely with the scrum team in an agile environment to ensure work is consistently sequenced, digested, and completed at a reasonable velocity.
- They provide architectural vision and technical coaching to tech leads and engineers to deliver high-quality products. They establish, communicate, and enforce engineering best practices such as code quality, unit test coverage, pull requests, and code reviews.
- They care about long term quality and productivity improvement by strategizing and implementing a wide range of engineering initiatives such as automation and training to improve delivery capability. They continuously identify and address inefficiencies at a macro level.
Overall team management, leadership, monitoring, and reporting:
- Ensure Engineering and team success
- Serve as the Engineering leader and representative for your team
- Improve operational efficiency and develop a vision that leads to long term success of engineering teams
- Acquire in-depth knowledge of your team's charter as well as the charters of other teams
- Communicate clearly, candidly, and empathetically with the team members you manage
- Cultivate a high performing team meeting, which will help VP Engineering to exceed key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Establish and maintain excellent collaboration with Product Managers working on planning, sequencing, and compromises
- Spearhead various research and development initiatives to identify opportunities for new projects and improved processes
- Coordinate and conduct various tests and quality assurance checks to verify the quality of completed projects/features
- Hire and Develop team members
- Monitor and determine various staffing and training needs
- Make data-driven decision
Communication and collaboration across the Engineering Department
- Communicate with the business on behalf of the team. This includes estimates, outages, upcoming projects, milestones, etc.
- Communicate and collaborate with other managers and teams
- Work with the Engineering Management group to brainstorm future strategies and plan resource needs.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
What you bring to the Virgin Pulse team
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent, in Computer Science or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience as an engineer
- 3+ years of experience as a manager
- Prior experience working as a software engineer, quality engineer, or business analyst.
You also take pride in offering the following Core Skills, Competencies, and Characteristics:
- Product development passion: You have a passion for developing great software applications, especially in the employee health engagement space. You can rattle off the names of your favorite web applications.
- Business acumen: You know how to weigh risk and value to our customers. You are quick to learn the business and can grow into an effective Product Owner in our organization.
- Communication skills: You should be comfortable discussing software architecture for the features you’ll propose and be able to implement them cleanly. Your ability to contribute to a technical and business discussion mirrors your ability to listen and learn from your peers.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Why work at Virgin Pulse???
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive culture and cutting-edge technology and services. Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to diversity, inclusion, equity and social justice. To that end, we make a particular effort to recruit candidates from minoritized backgrounds to apply for open positions.