Tech Lead - Software Engineer
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Now is the time to join us!
At Virgin Pulse we value and celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood.
Who are you?
Tech Leads are the development point person for their Product Delivery Team and have a proven track record of excellence in their areas of expertise and are a “Development Expert” to engineering. You stay current in the latest Engineering trends and have experience designing and implementing complex SaaS solutions. You know dependencies with underlying systems and can fix issues in the system interfaces. In addition to developing and solving complex tasks, you prioritize development stories, provide estimates, and create subtasks to implement product features within the sprint. You have high ownership in production issues that arise and actively work to a timely resolution. You are involved with architecture decisions for the development framework, perform code reviews, promote coding standards, SOPs, and push for new development tools and technology where needed.
In this role you will wear many hats, but your knowledge will be essential in the following:
- Spearhead the design, development, and testing of new platform features, components, and enhancements
- Collaborate, groom, and provide technical guidance to Product Management
- Translate business requirements into sequenced user stories aligned with product roadmap
- Technical lead during sprint grooming, planning, and kick-off ceremonies to raise awareness, provide implementation guidance, and user story estimates
- Set and guide the technical direction within and across teams
- Lead in software architecture discussions and setting technical direction
- Provide technical leadership and coaching to more junior team members
- Promote, recommend, and enforce coding standards and SOPs
- Perform code reviews
- Research and implement new technologies where appropriate
- Identify and come up with strategies to resolve technical debt
- Takes operational responsibility in resolving production issues
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
What you bring to the Virgin Pulse team:
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Expert in Java and/or .NET (or similar), developing services and APIs for web and mobile apps
- A solid understanding of best practices for software development including testing, monitoring, and design
- Ability to go beyond the functional solution to build maintainable and well-tested code
- Experience working closely with product managers to refine the product
- Ability to articulate and champion design strategies related to scalability, maintainability, performance, security and usability
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and a solid grasp of object-oriented programming
- Solid understanding of the full software development life cycle
- Strong communication skills, openness to collaborate, and enthusiasm to deliver as a part of a team
- A passion and drive for learning technologies and recommend how to apply them pragmatically
- An ability to lead a technical discussion and the openness to listen and learn from your peers
Education and Experience
- 5+ years of experience in a software engineering
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Our technology sets us apart
Our cloud platform is using an exciting mixture of technologies to provide millions of end users with rich experiences in native mobile and responsive browser platforms built in Angular at scale. These highly scalable, reliable applications are supported by a suite of services built on APIs and real-time processors leveraging Spring Framework technologies. Our platforms consume billions of activities, in various forms, which drive our analytics and machine learning platforms. We leverage backend systems, with AWS at their core, which support a diverse set of workloads including Aurora RDS, ElastiCache, SNS/SQS, Kafka, EC2/ECS/EKS, S3, CloudFront, and Personalize. We manage these services with infrastructure as code technologies to ensure consistency and reliability.
Continuous Integration and Deployment is part of our DNA. We structure our applications as microservices and manage each deployment pipeline using containers, GitLab, and Harness. We strive for layered approach to unit, integration, functional tests to allow for lower risk releases at rates 100s of times per day to multiple environments.
You’ll be working on a platform that serves:
- Several million users with nearly 50% use daily
- 75 billion API calls and transactions a year spread across 35 services
- An engaging native mobile platform driving 85% of user traffic
- Hundreds of terabytes of data spread across multiple transactional and analytical stores
Engineers at Virgin Pulse work in small autonomous teams of technical leads, product owners, project managers, designers, and engineers collaborating with each other, across teams, to deliver unique solutions and products to the portfolio. As part of our team, you bring to the table your technical and leadership skills to help us build the latest technology in health and wellness platforms.
Work to ensure system and data security is maintained at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Ensure industry best practice coding standards are adhered to ensure all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities, such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work at Virgin Pulse?
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive culture and cutting-edge technology and services. Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to diversity, inclusion, equity and social justice. To that end, we make a particular effort to recruit candidates from minoritized backgrounds to apply for open positions.
If you are a Colorado resident and this role is available in Colorado or remote, you may be eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request via email to email@example.com. Please note the salary may vary depending on your skills, and experience.