Manager, Site Reliability Engineering
Remote, United States
Now is the time to join us!
At Virgin Pulse we value and celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood.
Who are you?
As a Site Reliability Manager, you will lead a team of SREs working closely with Infrastructure Engineers, Software Engineering Teams, and Support Engineers, to ensure the overall health and performance of applications and infrastructure. You will lead the team to focus on scaling, automation, and building feedback loops to meet our business objectives. The ideal candidate is a talented and innovative engineer with management experience and a track record of shipping code to production in rapid iterations for high-volume, highly available SaaS platforms.
In this role you will wear many hats, but your knowledge will be essential in the following:
- Cultivate a high-functioning core SRE Team, overseeing day-to-day coordination and execution of work efforts.
- Establish and evangelize site reliability standards, practices, and processes for all Engineering teams.
- Build and maintain Site Reliability Engineering roadmap, delivering high quality projects to optimize platform performance and availability, and providing tools and automation to reduce developer toil.
- Acquire in-depth domain knowledge about our Engineering operation to serve as a subject matter expert on our platforms and work with other stakeholders to influence key technology decisions.
- Act as primary representative of the SRE team within the Engineering organization and across the wider business.
- Oversee our application and infrastructure monitoring and alerting strategy, defining key performance indicators and correct thresholds to support application uptime.
- Ensure platform scalability, working across all Engineering teams and maintaining performance test strategy and cadence.
- Work with Virgin Pulse Security and Compliance teams to ensure applications and infrastructure adhere to our policies and controls.
- Serve as Incident Commander in event of severe platform degradation, including off-hours.
- Lead our geographically distributed SRE team and manage work within our Agile framework
- Mentor and guide team members in areas of technical expertise and professional development
- Serve as a reliable point of contact for escalation of internal and external issues
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
What you bring to the Virgin Pulse team
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years of experience as an engineer.
- Previous experience as a manager or lead engineer.
You also take pride in offering the following Core Skills, Competencies, and Characteristics:
- Experience writing and delivering software, preferably high-volume web services.
- Agile/Scrum framework and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication, with ability to filter and adapt communications for various highly technical and less technical audiences
- Experience in health care or other highly regulated industry is a plus.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Why work at Virgin Pulse???
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive culture and cutting-edge technology and services. Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to diversity, inclusion, equity and social justice. To that end, we make a particular effort to recruit candidates from minoritized backgrounds to apply for open positions.
In compliance with all states and cities that require transparency of pay, the base compensation for this position ranges from [x to x]. Note that salary may vary based on location, skills, and experience. This position is eligible for [x%] target bonus/variable compensation as well as health, dental, vision, mental health and other benefits.